January 16, 2008

Cleaning Acrylic Blocks

Sometimes, ya just have to take a break from all the fun and do a little cleaning up. My acrylic blocks were a nightmare to say the least! The photo below shows two of my dirty blocks on the left on a white paper towel. They were discolored with ink, greasy, gunky,and sticky from the adhesive and cleaners I use for unmounted stamps. So much so that my stamps weren't adhering to the blocks correctly and I was making messes on my clean card stock. The blocks shown on the right side have just been cleaned, just so you can see how dirty most of my blocks were. Here's how I clean my blocks. I lay out dry, white paper towels so that I can see the dirt on my blocks. Then I take baby wipes and clean off the first layer of ink and gunk. For those hard to remove ink stains and gunky adhesives, I needed a little bit more help though. So I got out my StazOn All Purpose Cleaner. I found mine at my local scrapbook store. The applicator is made of a foam type material that really allowed me to scrub on the blocks. For the toughest stains, I applied the StazOn cleaner onto the block and let it sit while I was working on another block. With a little elbow grease and patience, all of my blocks were soon sparkling, clear and clean again.
I also cleaned some of my stamps that had been stained pretty badly with black ink. Not all of the ink comes off but it cleans them up nicely and removes a lot of of the staining. Hope this little tip helps........now I'm inspired again and am heading to my stamp room to have some stamping fun!!

P.S.........Many of you are missing my blog banner. Here's the deal: I am not good with computer stuff and friends have been helping me out with resizing, and a bunch of other techno junk. But I don't want to bother them so until I can figure out the banner thing myself, I'm keeping it simple and off to the side. Digital scrapbooking and altering of photos is on my to do list this year so we'll see if I can EVER get the hang of it. In the meantime, I'll let my projects take front and center. I might show you my new hair cut though soon! :) I'll be back with lots of new projects soon! Thanks for visiting!

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Whenever my bloacks get gunky I use goo-gone and a cotton ball. Then I proceed to clean with wipes or stamp cleaner and paper towel. Using the goo-gone first helps to clean not only the sticky stuff but alot of the ink and cleaner spatter on there. Thought I'd give you another option. Check out your blog regularly and love your style.

Jenn in GA said...

i don't have the hang of the whole banner thing yet either, and my resident webmaster is busy with other things. i like the new layout! thanks for the tips on cleaning the blocks...everything you share here is very helpful and practical.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog :) Thanks for all of your inspiration and great practical advice.

Would love to see the new hair cut :)

Lori

Debra Lois said...

I discovered another easy way to clean acrylic blocks. Put some hand sanitizer on an old rag and give the block a little rub. Very quick and they get sparkling clean!

Pegg S said...

I clean my blocks with hand soap under running water? Is that ok?? Thank you for sharing your way -- maybe I need to follow your direction! BTW, where do you buy your blocks -- they are beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

Hey there - thanks for the tips. I thought I'd share a little one of my own. To clean off my stamps that are stained from Staz-on, I use the alcohol prep pads you can buy in the first aid aisle at Wal-Mart and it gets every bit of the staz-on off! Plus, it's the perfect little size and I keep a box of them in my stamping room to clean off stamps and scissors that are gunky, too!

Anonymous said...

These are just adorable!

liannallama said...

oh, I really need to do this too! I keep getting sticky stuff on my blocks!

sworley said...

I love your blog, Mishie - checking it is part of my daily routine!! I want to see your new do!! And when you post a pic of it are you going to get yourself out of that tunnel finally????? LOL You know I love you, Shistah!

Whimsey said...

Wait...where's the new hair? Yeah, we love seeing your creations; but we want to see your hair. LOL

Libby Hickson said...

Thanks for sharing this! My blocks are getting pretty yicky, almost to the point of being embarrassing - it's good to read I'm not the only one who lets them get like that. ;-) And also good to know the StazOn cleaner is a good option!

Anonymous said...

Certain acrylic will react with that stazon cleaner. I had some older acrylic blocks and it started to create *stars* in the acrylic. Personally, I don't care but just a FYI that you may want to read up more about using stazon on acrylic. I use orange goo-gone or a small travel bottle of hand cleaner for mine..

Related Posts with Thumbnails