November 4, 2008

Nuts For You

This was our anniversary card this year. I always hated to see Eric spend $4 bucks on a card that wasn't hand stamped... *gasp*. So I made us a card that had two blank inserts, one for me to write on and one for Eric to write on. It was a GREAT idea and a nice memento. So this year, I did the same thing. I made a pocket card...which I love to make......which had two inserts for our little notes to each other. I filled out my insert and left it on the kitchen counter for Eric to see the next morning. Before he left for work, he read my message and filled out his portion. He tied the card back up and left it for me to see. I'm sure this will become a tradition for us from now on.

By making a pocket card, it's easy to put two black pieces of cardstock inside. I designed this one to be especially fun by making a flap that inserts into the back of the pocket and folds onto the front of the card. It all ties up with a long ribbon.

For the main image on the card flap, I used the cute squirrel from Papertrey's My Punny Valentine stamp set along with the sentiment *nuts for you*. I cut out the acorn and added some lines with a marker. Leaves and sequins embellish the images. I cut all this out with Spellbinder's rectangle dies, adding detail with embossing and another brown scallop cut rectangle layer. I also stamped the grid lines from the Guidelines stamp set onto the green flap in a diagonal pattern.
The base of the card is a simple pocket card, held together with staples. I used PTI patterned paper from the First Fruits collection to keep with the fall theme. You can see both our notes tucked inside the pocket. I love to see our handwriting. I always put the date on the back of these types of cards to keep for reference. And for some reason, these cards always end up in the top drawer of Eric's night stand so I guess that's where we'll keep little mementos like this card.
Hope you enjoy my card. It's fun to make a one of kind card for that someone special. This could easily be turned into a Thanksgiving card, with each of your family members writing a note about what they are thankful for. I might do that this year. Have a great day!

Papertrey Supplies: Ripe Avocado cardstock, First Fruits patterned paper, Dark Chocolate Twill Ribbon, Guidelines Stamp Set, My Punny Valentine Stamp Set, Vintage Cream Cardstock, Dark Chocolate Cardstock

Note: I'm still getting pledges for the Make A Child Smile organization. Thank you and I'll update my list soon!!

9 comments:

Karen said...

This is a great idea. My husband is terrible about remembering to get a card. This will solve the problem. Thanks a bunch.

Robin said...

What a great idea!!! Wonderful momento!!

Elizabeth S. said...

This is such a great idea!! Love this card and this will be great to have and to look back upon.

Anonymous said...

Too cute! I love this idea! Perfect...handmade straight from the heart, can't get better than that!

Jenn said...

What a great concept, Mish! You did a fantastic job on this.

Sharon said...

Perfect, Mishie! And such a great idea. I always tell Phil not to spend the $$ on a card - spend it on the gift instead ;) so this idea will be a surefire hit for him. AND, I see a scrapbook page coming on for these mementos too!!

Vicki Chrisman said...

What a great idea Mish! Super cute card too!

Anonymous said...

Michelle - It is a super card - like usual! But I don't get the trick with the flap. Where do you put the back of the flap? Into the pocket and than you put glue on the outer part of the flap and glue it inside? Sorry, i just don't get it at the moment
A confused Nessie in Europe

Crafty P said...

i adore that idea. I can't recall if I've mentioned it, but I love your blog/ideas/yadda yadda...
last year on our anniversary, my husband and I were out and had to stop at CVS. He went to get some things and I went my way and when we met back up I saw that he was carrying a card. I said, you will not buy that card for me, I'll just read it and sigh and know that you picked this one special for me and we'll use the $4.99 for dessert! thanks for letting me share that story from a completely random reader!

Related Posts with Thumbnails