August 9, 2010

Snack Jars...

Edit: Hey, I've been meaning to tell you about some fabulous new products that Copic released at CHA. There is new masking film, blending cards, and double sided tape....you can check out Marianne's colorful blog here to read about CHA happenings and all the new products. When I get back from vacation, I'll be showing the new products here on the blogaroonie. :)

Hello friends. Thanks again for all the well wishes. I am feeling pretty good and slept great last night...felt so good to be able to roll onto my side for the first time since my surgery. Did I tell you that one of my gallstones was the size of a golf ball...I got to see it. Gross.

We're heading out for vacation today to beautiful Colorado. The fresh mountain air will do my family wonders! So glad my parents are right next door to hold the fort down while we're gone. Just an update on my Etsy shop while I'm away. I will be gone from August 10th to August 15th. The shop will remain open and all orders received during that time will be shipped on August 16th. I have lots of samples ready for this month's Papertrey release but I have to keep them under cover. You will flip for the Friendship Jar Fall Fillers set!

In the meantime, here's a little something we've been doing lately. I got the idea from Becky Higgins' blog. Each child gets their own snack jar. I found these fun jars at Walmart. We've added decorated name tags to the jars since these photos.
The concept is that a week's worth of snacks go into the jars. You divide the goodies up equally between the kids' jars.
Add in some healthier snacks like breakfast bars, applesauce cups, etc.
Divide up treats like cookies and packaged snacks into little baggies. No one fights over who ate all the Oreos anymore. Each red gets the same amount.
And you don't dare get into the other kid's jar. Or else.
It's worked great for us this summer and lots of friends that visited this summer went home and told their moms all about it. I think it will be nice for when school starts too....the girls will know right where to grab a snack on their way out the door or for after school. Just thought I would share...you gotta love when a great idea comes along. See ya soon!

18 comments:

Patti J said...

Great idea! Glad you are feeling better, and hope you enjoy your vacation. We always loved Colorado - no humidity! Always came back sunburned though! We used to go out a lot - our son attended the Air Force Academy. Have fun!!!

Eveline said...

Have a good time in Colorado.
Eveline.

Darla said...

Great idea! And yeah, I was wondering why the queen of decorating things hadn't decorated the jars!! LOL

Diane Jaquay said...

I love this idea! Not only does it avoid fighting over the snacks, but if you're putting a weeks worth in there, once they're gone, that's it. If they eat it all in 2 days then they're done for the week. Teaches them how to space out their snacks ;)

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

What a GREAT idea! I will remember this for next summer! Benjamin will be going off to college next week (YIKES!!), but will definitely need to use this next summer when he is home.

bonnie said...

Oh yeah Mish this is the best idea I have heard all year!!! Fantastic and thank you so very much for sharing...you are wonderful...glad you're feeling a little better...hugs, Bonnie xx

Rhonda Miller said...

Oh, what a great idea. I might have to give this one a try. TFS.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mish, I'm so glad you are recovering well from your surgery! Hey, I live in Colorado Springs so if you come this way, feel free to contact me for tourist information, tips on restaurants, scrapbooking stores, etc. My husband is a retired teacher and loves to show people around! Cindy (claudeandcindy@msn.com)

Monique said...

I think this is a awesome idea...I have 3 girls and the fight is always on cuz somebody ate all of the good stuff...and I am always saying have something a bit healthier... I will definitely try this....Thanks Mish...

PS Hope you have a relaxing holiday :)

Michelle (abzzymom) said...

Love this idea! I will definitely use it. Glad you're feeling better. Enjoy your vacation. BTW, you're new picture is so pretty.

Carol said...

Have a wonderful time in CO! I'm envious...I miss living there so much! Your jar idea also works well for anyone who lives together...such as my dh and myself! Great idea!

Lori Craig said...

Doing this today.... TODAY! Happy Vacation, Mish!

Kristie Maynard said...

Great idea! Wish I had this one when my kids were little. Love it!
Funny you say you got to see that gall stone. I just had a hip replacement and I wanted to see the femur head that they took out, but my Doc wouldn't let me see it. Boo Hoo! I guess since I have a background in nursing, I find that stuff interesting!
have a wonderful vacation!

Michelle said...

Mish, I live in Colorado Springs!!! I'd love to hear about the places you visited. The weather can't be beat here, and neither can the beautiful deep blue sky. I hope you enjoy your vacation!

Mary Sara P. said...

Mish - so glad to hear that you're feeling better. Enjoy your family vacation to Colorado.

Diana said...

You are amazing. Posting while recovering from surgery and posts while you are on vacation. This is one reason why we love you. You really care about your fans/groupies.
I very happy to hear you are sleeping well again and feeling better.
Have a wonderful vacation and I cannot wait to see your new stamp set with Nicole. You guys make a great team, please keep those stamp sets coming!

Stacy W. said...

Sorry to hear that you had surgery, but happy that you are doing well. Amazing to think that you had a golf ball sized gall stone in your body...wow. Love the snack jar idea. My boys are always wanting several snacks...they have hollow legs ;). I think I might add some pictures of fresh fruits and veggies in there too (they are only3 and 6). Enjoy Colorado!

Anonymous said...

hate to tell you, mish but the reason you have gallstones is because of your weight. and the snacks for your daughters of rolos and oreos is gearing them up to be and obese adlut as well maybe try more healthy things like rice cakes which they have the flavored ones that are tasty fruit chips and dried fruit candy is really irresponsible

Related Posts with Thumbnails